Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, January 14, 2011

Little Blankie Girls

So when I said I wasn't going to blog anymore - I may have been lying to myself.  I love to share stories:  there are just some that don't need to be shared with the whole world!

I found myself called to write to a good friend of mine earlier today about her concern for her two daughters and their blankies.  Sure they're getting older, but they're still little girls!  Here's what I had to say:

"I still have my blankies - and they did go to college with me! It was a comfort thing - to be able to have something with you when you travel that smells like home. My blankie even helped me learn how God can help us when we pray! When I was little and had lost my blankie, and could not go to bed. I was able to calm down, pray, find my blanket and thank God for helping me to find it!
As I grew older, they became more useful as something to cover eyes when the roommate had the lights on studying late, or to cover my head when it was cold or I had a headache. But I still kept them around.
I think I used my blankies more when I was single in grad school as that thing I could grab onto from my childhood that, like God, could comfort me enough to fall asleep in a strange new town, where I knew no one and had no idea what I was doing, except following God's plan for me.
Champ guarding Maggie Grace, 10/13/04
Did they go on my honeymoon? I don't remember, but Sean says he thinks one did. Must be another thing about them smelling like home!
But in the past 7 years, I'd say they've mostly stayed folded in the back of my pajama drawer, or fallen behind the bed. Talking about them makes me want to find one and snuggle up and take a nap, b/c I can't tell you the last time I snuggled with one.
So us little blankie girls do grow up - and find new ways to cope. And meet the men we are supposed to marry, and make families. We learn to wrap our children in them, and make special blankies for them to carry everywhere and for always.

Just look at my pictures of Maggie Grace. You'll see several Snoopy blankets with satin blanket binding - just like mine. (She called them "slickies.") I made them for her and even at 6 - she can't start the day or end the day without one in her grasp! MG also knows about my special, worn & tattered blankies - and even asks if she can borrow one occasionally when she's feeling sick, sad, or frightened.

So don't worry about your sweet girls and their blankies. There’s a lot of love stored up in that old piece of cloth last them all their days!
Love you!
-Larissa"



No comments: